Starting in 2013 and continuing still to this day, the Dodge Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 turbo diesel trucks all have a pretty significant design flaw.
Yep, that’s a fuel filler that comes from the factory with no cap. A cap-less fuel filler design, really?
What were you thinking Dodge!?
How exactly is the mediocre seal on the fuel door supposed to protect against water and dirt getting into the fuel filler neck?
Of course, Dodge will not admit to this being anything other than the design as intended, but they did release a part number for the people that inquired about missing “gas” caps; the Mopar part# 52029561AA, which is a quite thin and cheaply made green plastic wedge style cap. These do not seem to be durable at all, and still are questionable in their ability to keep out contaminants.
Fortunately, there are a couple options aside from what Dodge has (or hasn’t) provided:
Aluminum Fuel Cap
Thankfully the aftermarket has seen this issue and noticed that people in fact actually want to seal their fuel filler necks from getting crap down into the tank.
The main problem that you’ll have when trying to add a normal fuel cap to one of these dodge trucks – there just isn’t enough room for a regular old gas cap to sit in there and still have the fuel door close.
This is why these billet aluminum caps have such a low profile, so that they can actually fit perfectly in the filler, seal it with an o-ring and still have space for the door to close. Plus, they look quite good!
2013-2017 Dodge Ram Diesel Fuel Cap Billet Aluminum Magnetic NEW EASIER GRIP DESIGN
- This is what Dodge forgot to include in your new truck! Why take the risk going without this Dodge Ram accessory? This Magnetic Dodge Ram Fuel Cap KEEPS DIRT & WATER OUT OF YOUR FUEL TANK on all Capless Dodge Ram Diesel Trucks (2013-2017)
- NEW EASIER TO GRIP DESIGN! (Based on our great customer feedback!)
- PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE AT ITS BEST! Machined from AIRCRAFT GRADE Aluminum and Anodized Green with laser logo to help ensure no fueling mix-ups
- A Strong, RARE EARTH MAGNET holds the cap to any metal surface on the truck during fill-ups.
- COMPATIBLE with Dodge Ram EVAP EMISSION SYSTEMS. Diesel Compatible O-ring ensures a snug fit inside the fuel fill hole.
For all Dodge Ram Diesels 2013-2017 with "capless" fuel fill. This trick looking billet aluminum fuel cap accessory will enhance the look and feel of your new truck. More importantly this cap will give you peace of mind that your fuel tank is staying clean by keeping dirt and debris out. The rubber o-ring seals off the fuel filler area and provides a snug fit. The strong magnet on the backside allows you to easily set it aside during fill ups, just stick it to any metal part of the truck. Eliminate any concern about dirt getting into your fuel tank, this is a fast, simple, effective design and looks great too!
Fuel And DEF Cap Combo
If you prefer a more uniform look, there is a combo set available that combines the DEF and fuel cap replacements together in one kit. Guaranteed to make you smile every time you refill!
2013-2017 Dodge Ram Diesel Magnetic Billet Aluminum Fuel Cap and DEF Cap Combo
- Fits all 2013-2017 Dodge Ram Diesel and Eco-diesel vehicles
- Rare earth magnet installed in bottom of gas cap. When refueling just place the cap against the steel fuel door, keeps you from setting it down and forgetting about it.
- DEF cap is compatible with the stock tether. Remove the old cap and snap the tether around the new cap for easy retention.
- Both caps machined from 6061 billet aluminum and anodized for maximum protection and a show quality finish.
- Caps include o-rings to protect against outside contaminants, a major improvement over the cheap stock plastic diesel cap that lets dirt and dust in
Do you own a 2013-2017 Dodge Ram Diesel? Tired of the lack of a quality gas cap on your expensive truck? What about the cheap looking plastic DEF cap? Well here is the gas and DEF cap combo that you've been looking for. As good looking as they are functional, this combo will keep dirt and debris out of the fuel system while making the other owners jealous. These are the caps that should have been included stock.
OEM Style Plastic Cap
Aside from the thin green plastic cap, Dodge actually has another style of cap that is more robust and seems like it would do the job of protecting the open fuel filler system.
The part number for this cap: Mopar/Chrysler 82214609.
It does also come with a tether to keep the cap attached and from being lost, a nice feature for those of us that sometimes misplace our fuel caps when refilling our trucks in the morning before coffee.
Non-Locking Gas Cap for 3.0L and 6.7L Diesel Engines with capless systemAvailable for 2014-2017 Dodge Ram 1500Available for 2014-2017 Dodge Ram 2500Available for 2014-2017 Dodge Ram 3500
Hopefully this guide has helped you to find the best options for replacing your truck’s missing fuel cap. If you have any more questions or input about this issue, feel free to drop us a line below in the comments. Thanks for reading!